Oatland Plantation
St. Simons Island, Georgia


William Curtis Taylor

William Curtis Taylor [CC B6-B] b. 1847 d. 1917
m. Isabelle Vincent Stevens [CC B6-A] b. 16 Oct 1850 St. Simons Isl., Ga d. 14 Nov 1937
9 Children
(1) Annabel (Annie Belle) Taylor [CC B11-B] b. 1877 d. 1934
m. Donald C. McCaskill [CC 811-A] b. 1870 d. 1929
(2) Charles William Taylor [CC 86-C] b. 26 Feb 1878 Unmarried d. 8 Dec 1933
(3) Roy Taylor [CC B6-L] b. 17 Sep 1879 Died Infancy d. 2 May 1882
(4) Arthur Allen Taylor [CC A058] b. 1881 d. 1950
m. Willie Knudsen Osborne [CC A058] b. 1894 d. 1976
(5) Herman Douglas Taylor [CC Bl43-K] b. 2-Mar- 1883 St. Simons Isl., Ga d. 14-Dec-1977 St. Simons Isl., Ga
m. Alberta Telfair Gould [CC B143-K] m. 10-Apr-1918 b. 22-Dec-1888 St. Simons Isl., Ga
(6) Edna Gertrude Taylor [CC B13-AC] b. 6 Aug 1883 d. 10 Aug 1972
m. Malcolm McCaskill [CC B13-AB] b. 23 May 1881 d, 7 Jan 1964
(7) Maude Estelle Taylor [CC B2-E] b. 1888 d. 1968
(8) Archibald R. Taylor [CC B7-DA] b. 18 Apr 1890 d. 19 May 1974
m. Olive Waite [CC B7-DA] b. 30 Sep 1889 d. 19 May 1974
(9) Reginald A. Taylor [CC B3-D] b. 10 Sep 1891 d. 15 Oct 1962 Brunswick, Ga
m. Banford Bush [CC B3-E] b. 4 Mar 1900 d. 19 Nov 1990

William Curtis Taylor (1847-1917). The date of this photograph is unknown, the original is in the possession of Sally Taylor Jones, a granddaughter. William C. Taylor was the son of Silas Wesley Taylor and Margaret Charlotte Lowrie (sometimes Lowry) of Brunswick. The father, Silas Taylor was born in Maryland in 1809 or 1810 and was in Glynn County by the mid-1830s where on July 20, 1836, he married Margaret Lowrie. What brought Silas Taylor to Glynn County is unknown, but in about 1838 he was hired by Roswell King, Jr. to be the overseer of Hampton Plantation at Butler Point on St. Simons. It is believed that Silas Taylor left his position as overseer by about 1850, but the family remained on St. Simons Island for a short period of time before moving to near the community of Bethel outside of Brunswick, where they were living by 1860. William Taylor was apparently born while the family lived on St. Simons where, no doubt, he knew the Stevens family at Frederica. In 1875, William Curtis married Isabelle Stevens. William Curtis seems to have made a living mainly through farming and raising cattle, hogs and other livestock on St. Simons. His son, Reginald Taylor, said that William Curtis was often called “Willie Ball.”



Isabelle Vincent Stevens Taylor (October 17, 1850-November 14, 1937). This photograph was probably taken in the 1870s or 1880s. The original is in the possession of Sally Taylor Jones, a granddaughter. Isabelle Vincent Stevens was the fourth child of Charles and Sarah Dorothy Stevens. Known as “Belle” she was born at Frederica and resided in the old Stevens home her entire life. She married William Curtis Taylor in 1875 and they had nine children, all of whom lived on St. Simons and all of whom are buried at Christ Church, Frederica. Isabelle inherited the old family home at Frederica and the property containing the ruins of old Fort Frederica. In 1903 she donated the fort ruins and a small area of surrounding land to the Georgia Society of Colonial Dames.

The “Taylor boys” and their uncle, John Lawrence Stevens. This photograph was taken in the 1920s at Frederica. The Taylor Boys were the sons of William Curtis Taylor and Isabelle Stevens Taylor (sister of John L. Stevens) and the grandchildren of Captain Charles Stevens. From left to right they are: Reginald Arnold Taylor (September 10, 1891-October 15, 1962); Archibald Robert Taylor (“Uncle Archie,” April 18, 1890-June 6, 1964); Herman Douglas Taylor (“Uncle Doug,” March 3, 1883-December 14, 1977); Uncle "Johnnie" (John L.) Stevens (1852-1929); Arthur Allen Taylor (“Uncle Arthur,” 1881-1950) and Charles William Taylor (“Uncle Charlie,” January 26, 1878-December 8, 1933). One of the Taylor brothers, Roy Taylor (1879-1882) died as a child of four. Four of the Taylor brothers, Charles, Arthur, Archie and Reg, established themselves as “Taylor Brothers” about 1919. As Taylor Brothers they farmed, raised livestock, operated tourist cottages, and guided fishing parties in the waters around St. Simons. In these endeavors they used the Taylor property at Frederica inherited from Charles Stevens, plus they leased a large acreage on St. Simons, including all of Butler Point, Cannons Point and other lands on St. Simons, as well as what was then known as Long Island, now Sea Island. In the 1920s they purchased Lawrence Plantation which they farmed and used as the base for their fishing guide activities. Douglas Taylor, the one brother who was not part of the “Taylor Brothers,” by the 1920s was working on Little St. Simons Island, first helping his uncle John Stevens but soon becoming manager of the island for the Berolzhiemer family. “Uncle Doug” remained manager of Little St. Simons until the 1970s.

Launch Teal.  The Teal was a covered launch owned by the Taylor Brothers and used for their guided fishing trips in the waters around St. Simons Island from about 1919 to the 1930s.  The boat was powered by an inboard gasoline engine, of the type used before the development of the outboard motor.  The individuals on the Teal are unidentified, but are presumably some of the Taylor brothers. 

Frederica School - Banford Taylor indicated that this was a photograph of the students of the Frederica School at Frederica, St. Simons Island, Georgia.  Based on the ages of the known students, the photograph appears to have been taken in the mid to late 1890s.  Many of the students were members of the Stevens and Taylor families then residing at Frederica.  Only two individuals are tentatively identified.  These are Herman Douglas Taylor (1883-1977), standing far right in straw hat, dark coat and tie and his older brother, Charles W. Taylor (1878-1933), standing fourth from left in straw hat, white shirt and tie.  It is presumed that other Taylor children are in the photograph, since all attended the Frederica School.  These would include Arthur Allen Taylor (1881-1950), Archibald R. Taylor (1890-1964); Maude Taylor (1889-?); Edna Taylor (1886-?) and Reginald A. Taylor (1891-1962).  The eldest Taylor child, Annie Belle (1877-1933), may have been too old to have been in school at the time the photo was taken.  However, the women standing second from the left appears to be older than the other children and she may be Annie Belle Taylor or the school teacher.  The two identified Taylor brothers are wearing straw hats, so the others may be also.  The boy in the front row, kneeling/sitting in the straw hat may be Reginald Taylor or his brother Archibald Taylor.


Banford Taylor 1943